Keratin, Cronuts and Cara Delevingne are all words you’re sure to have heard buzzing around the air this summer. While the latter two are hot new commodities on the trend market Keratin has been around for some time, recently gaining more and more popularity.
So what is Keratin (for those of us less familiar with the wondrous world of biology)?
Keratin is a fibrous protein – the key structural component of hair and nails. Salons offer Keratin treatments to make hair softer, more resilient and easier to manage for months at a time by adding that nourishing, natural protein back into the hair shafts.
The treatment takes about two hours and goes as follows:
- Your hair is washed with a clarifying shampoo.
- Keratin is applied all over wet hair from roots to tips and combed through.
- You’ll sit with the product on for about half an hour before your stylists blows your hair dry.
- A straightening iron is used to seal the product onto your strands.
- Your hair is given a final wash and blow dry and you’re all done!
I received a Keratin treatment at Victoria’s Hive Hair a week ago and am absolutely loving the results. My super dry, completely uncanny blonde locks are tame, silky and smooth. The best part for me is the lack of styling required – I simply wash my hair, slap a bit of argon oil on the ends and let the warm summer air dry it out. The ease of styling also means that my hair is free from the damaging effects of straighteners and curling irons.
If your hair is feeling dry from the heat of summer, or you simply want to be able to have perfect air dried hair after those glorious lake/pool side days, try a Keratin treatment!