Sweater weather is upon us and it’s that cozy time of year when we look forward to reuniting with loved ones. Local charity Ronald McDonald House BC & Yukon (RMH BC) ensures that families who must travel far from home for their child’s life-saving medical treatment can continue to create lasting memories together under one roof.
The holidays are normally a bright & positive time spent with those near and dear, and while families of RMH BC are facing incredible hardship, the House continues to offer a warm and uplifting place of comfort and community. Of course, RMH BC is only made possible through the generosity of donors year-round but especially through contributions during the holiday season.
Meet Amaeya from Campbell River, BC
In November 2020, mom Maraea Paulus took her 3-year-old daughter to the hospital, expecting to get some antibiotics and go home – but instead they found themselves with a diagnosis of leukemia, on a helicopter to Vancouver.
For the Paulus family, staying at Ronald McDonald House offered priceless moments of normalcy, laughter and family time together. “It’s not home, but it’s the closest thing you could find,” says Maraea. Along with comfortable rooms and home-cooked meals, the House offered Amaeya a place to play and just be a kid after long days at the hospital.
Thanks to a Light the House tree sponsor, Amaeya was able to spend the afternoon decorating a tree in the living room with her mom and grandma, a memory they still treasure.
How To Get Involved
- Entertain your loved ones and host a Home for Dinner event 🍽 At RMH BC, food is love. By hosting an intimate dinner and having your guests donate to your personal fundraising page, you can ensure that families can continue to share meals and moments together under one roof. Host your dinner and fundraiser any time this Holiday season. https://rmhbc.ca/home-for-dinner
- Adopt an in-house Christmas tree at RMH BC 🎄 Help create a festive atmosphere at the House for families who are unable to travel home over the Holidays. Gift a special memory to an RMH BC family by adopting an in-House tree for a family to decorate or fundraise with your team to help us Light the House from your workplace, office or school with RMH BC light bulb icons! https://give.rmhbc.ca/campaign/light-the-house
- Stream for RMH BC 🎥 Do you enjoy gaming, music, sport, art or entertaining? Join the Holiday Streaming Campaign this December; stream your passion and help fundraise for RMH BC. This event is not only for gamers; you can take part and stream anything you love to do like board games, darts, bowling, art, music or sport. Use your imagination and come up with a unique stream! https://rmhbc.ca/holiday-streaming-fundraiser
- Shop RMH BC’s virtual wish list 🎁 Browse RMH BC’s virtual holiday wish list and gift a family with a coveted item on their Christmas list. Choose from a variety of gift packages for kids, teens and parents. For an even larger impact, gift a night of comfort to a family. https://rmhbc.ca/gifts-in-kind
- Make a donation 💌 One of the simplest and most direct ways to support families at Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon. Give today and help keep families close. You can also donate in honour of friends and family! http://rmhbc.ca/holiday-house
- Facebook fundraising 💻 Call on support from your Facebook community on your birthday or another special occasion! Setting up a Facebook fundraiser is quick and easy. Navigate to your Facebook Fundraisers page and select @RMHBC as a nonprofit to set up your own. https://www.facebook.com